Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Long weekending

I made another batch of Almond butter chocolate chip cookies, the best gluten free choc chip cookie recipe I've found that the whole family loves.  Not nut free lunch box friendly though.  I use Rapadura sugar (the only sugar we keep in the house now), and add a sprinkle of cinnamon too.
Andrew and I went to the local tip shop, as he was looking for a bar stool so he can sit at his work bench in the garage.  We bought one for $5, and came away with this piece of reo mesh for $5 too.  I've been wanting some reo for a while, to use as a trellis (I need a few more sheets), the only catch was that it didn't fit in the car, so I had to walk it home, which took me about 15 minutes.
My blueberry plants arrived from Diggers, 2 Blue rose and 1 Brigitta varieties.  The Brigitta tends to fruit all at once, but the blue rose has a spread out fruiting season.  Having 2 varieties should help with pollination.
Latest op shop finds- a mincer which can be used as a tomato machine when making passata, a cute ceramic honey pot, and a Johnson Brothers bowl in the Olde English Countryside pattern.  I'm a bit drawn to transferware, and I think I'd like to collect this particular set.  Hopefully I'll find some more.

Andrew and I started our long weekend by seeing Bill McKibben's Do the Maths presentation at the Athenaeum Theatre in Melbourne on Friday night.  Bill was an excellent speaker, with a dry sense of humour.  The main points I got from the show were:

-We don't have much time to act on climate change;

-We need to take our money away from fossil fuel companies- look at your superannuation and where it is invested, put your banks on notice (the big 4 banks in Australia all invest in fossil fuel);

-We need as much renewable energy as we can get, as soon as possible;

-Most of the remaining fossil fuels need to be left in the ground.

No comments: